Total Pageviews

Sunday 7 July 2013

Pedalling Along Nicely in the TdF

MY RAINBOW YARN IS NOW FINISHED!!!!! Woohooo!

Here are the photos of each day's spinning, a bit boring I know, but it does show my progress through the rainbow.

Day 6 :-

Spinning the Madder
Day 7 :-

Starting the Brazilwood

Day 8 :-

Final colour finished
Then came the plying :-




And today they were joined together in a large yarn cake :-


From the centre, the colours are Purple (Logwood), Blues (Woad), Greens (Dyer's Chamomile overdyed with Woad and Comfrey), Yellow (Fennel), Orange (Onion Skins), Red (Madder), Pink/Violet (Brazilwood).

This was spun using Falkland wool (prepared and hand-dyed from the original fleece) and weighs in at 160g.  I have approx. 485 yards/448m and the thickness is approx. 12 wraps per inch which is sport weight.  For those who don't understand what sport weight is (I didn't either!), it's halfway between 4-ply and double knitting.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. I've done natural rainbows of yarn too, but yours has turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you - it was quite a challenge but I was really quite proud of myself when it was finished.

    ReplyDelete