Total Pageviews

Saturday 12 May 2012

Wildberry Surprise

I know, it sounds like a recipe doesn't it?  Well I suppose in a way it was.

Ingredients

100g merino top
  50g baby alpaca fleece
A handful of white banana fibre
Blue, pink and violet dyes

Method

First you take the 100g of merino and dye it blue.


(This dye was labelled "navy blue", but I think I prefer this colour)

Then you dump the washed and wetted-out baby alpaca in a dyepot and randomly pour on various shades of blue, pink and violet dyes.


When dry, split the fleece more or less into the different shades


Then blend with half of the blue on a drum carder, adding a sprinkling of banana fibre here and there.


You will then have five or six luscious, pettable batts of mixed fibres and colour.


Time to get spinning.  I spun one bobbin of plain blue, and one bobbin of the mixed batts.


And plied them together to make this :-


Wildberry Surprise (because the way the colours blended in the final skein were not what I'd planned!) : 150g, 423 yards.  This was finally sent to my sister a week ago, and received yesterday.  Only a month late for her birthday!


Destined to become a shawl/shawlette.

Note to Liz : I WANT PHOTOS WHEN IT'S FINISHED!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment