Total Pageviews

Saturday 5 May 2012

Tour de Fleece

Firstly, today is Saturday 5th May (well, I'm sure you're all aware of that).  At this time of day, 22 years ago, Eric and I stood at the altar and said I Do.  Where did all that time go? Eric came up with an interesting observation this morning, he said "Do you realise I've been retired for half of our married life?" (he retired at 51).  Since we came here though, he's never worked so hard in his life!

So, happy anniversary, and I'm looking forward to our meal out this evening.

Secondly, this morning I signed up for this year's Tour de Fleece.  I'm sure most of you have heard of the Tour de France which happens every year in June/July, but most of you have probably never heard of the Tour de Fleece.  This is an event run by Ravelry, which is a huge website (well, more of a community really) of like-minded people all to do with fibre and fibery things - knitting, crochet, spinning, dyeing, weaving etc. etc.  People visit daily from all over the world.

Anyway, they decided to create an event which runs alongside the Tour de France.  We pledge to spin (or knit or whatever) every day the cycle tour runs, and post photos on Ravelry of our results.  I'm probably aiming for at least an hour a day.  We do get rest days though, same as the Tour de France.  Think they're on Tuesday 10th and Tuesday 17th July. This will be the first year I've joined in and I'm really looking forward to it.

My goals in the TdF are to spin for an hour every day, spin some of my home produced silk, spin my new fleeces : the baby alpaca Eric bought for my birthday, and a Falkland fleece which my friend got for me (thanks May) which we haven't collected yet.  Oh, and the merino fleece I bought at Le Lot et La Laine festival last summer.  I also want to spin a beaded yarn, i.e. spin some beads into a skein of wool.

The Tour (both Tours!) begin on Saturday 30th June and run until Sunday 22nd July, so wish us all luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the TdF this year too. What teams are you in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Silkfarmer, don't know if you'll ever see this - I've just found your comment (Jan 2013). I was only in one team, Team HOC (Hopelessly Over-Committed - sort of describes my life!)
    Sorry I missed you for so long.

    ReplyDelete